The GOP released it’s platform in advance of their convention next week and it is VERY extreme. Here’s some of the planks:
- Women banned from combat – yet another right and responsibility they want to take away from my gender.
- Repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell – what will happen to all those soldiers who have already come out? Some have been promoted into the High Ranks. Will we lose these highly trained and exceptional soldiers because of this?
- Deny any legal recognition of Same-Sex Marriage–even a lot of moderates think Civil Unions are ok, but not the GOP. And what about state rights? If a state wants to allow Civil Unions or Marriage, why does the supposedly “small government” GOP want to prohibit states from doing that?
- Salute to Forced Ultrasounds – remember the VA bill that made it legal for a doctor to force a woman to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound WITHOUT THE WOMAN’S CONSENT? That particular gem was specifically praised.
- No abortion in cases of rape or incest – this speaks for itself
- Replicate AZ Immigration laws – what do they not understand about the concept of constitutionality? What do they not understand about the Feds constitutional responsibility for maintaining our borders? Why the HELL don’t they advocate for a complete Immigration overhaul so that the Feds can do their job?
- No new taxes except for war – what if we have several major natural catastrophes that are unplanned for? What if we have a largescale epidemic for which no funds or not enough funds were appropriated? If those are too remote a possibility for you, here’s one that is already occurring. What if population and thus the need for basic services increase without a corresponding equal increase in tax revenues to cover the cost of those services? This is happening now with the Baby Boom generation. The wealthy have not paid their fair share of taxes since Reagan was in office reducing revenues to historic lows while our population has naturally grown through birth and legitimate immigration and combine all that with the aging Baby Boomers who will need more and more services as they age. An increase in revenue MUST occur or our debt and deficit WILL become dangerous. One more point. Republicans (and Dems) allowed President Bush to start two unfunded wars. They are not fiscal conservatives and this plank is utter bullshit.