1. Can you imagine, earning only $2,500 a year for a family of three and you STILL wouldn’t qualify for Medicaid? That’s insane and that’s what Gov. Rick Perry and all the other Republican Governors want for their state. They want the poor to die so that those Governors can gain political points for defying the President.
“Texas already has one of the nation’s most restrictive Medicaid programs, offering coverage only to the disabled, children and parents who earn less than $2,256 a year for a family of three.”
2. Finally the NCAA got something right…the punishment established today for Penn State’s 15 years of systemic tolerance of pedophilia by Sandusky is absolutely spot on.
3. I spoke too soon in my earlier post naming Michelle Bachmann as “Asshole of the Month” because there is someone else who deserves that title, former AZ State Senator, neo-Nazi friend and Mormon Bishop Russell Pearce. Pearce posted something ugly on his Facebook page in regards to the theater shooting that occurred over the weekend in Colorado. He essentially said that the guns weren’t the problem, and that the shooting could have been stopped if a brave man had been in the theater that night. Making the innocent victims in the first place is bad enough, but then blaming them after the fact, adds insult to injury. And BTW, no one would have had to stop the perp if the perp didn’t have guns in the first place.
4. The increasingly irrelevant Sarah Palin endorsed yet another mainstream candidate, Rep. Jeff Flake, over a Tea Party candidate, Wil Cardon, in the race to see who will replace retiring Senator Jon Kyl. What I find weird is that Flake’s views are pretty extreme and so that must mean the Tea Party candidate must be a real nutjob.
5. The gun lobby is out there declaring that guns save more lives than they take, pointing to research that people in the U.S. used guns more than 2.5 million times or about 6,850 times a day, to protect themselves from being a victim of a crime. Only problem is, it’s a lie. Read this take down of the lie….it’s a real eye opener. Here’s what is true….people with a gun are 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not possessing a gun.
6. Caterpillar (the guys that make large lawn mowers and bulldozers) made a profit of $4.9 billion last year. Yet they are still squeezing their already reduced work force to concede a 6 year wage and pension freeze. Welcome to your free market economy where the only people that will actually be free will be the factory owners.