1. Thanks Joe, you idiot! Once again, Maricopa County taxpayers will be shelling out money to a victim of Sheriff Joe’s illegal activities to the tune of over $1 million. Good ol’ Joe has literally cost the County (and in some cases the State) millions in funds that could have been used for infrastructure, education or even tax refunds.
2. The second major lawsuit against SB1070 is progressing through the Federal courts. Known as the Friendly House case it is different from the Federal Government challenge. This “Friendly House” case is based on the 1st, 5th and 14th Amendments and represents individuals as a “class action”. The other case, brought by the DOJ is based on the definition of Federal constitutional authority versus State authority. Both cases seem to be based on solid and established legal precedence, but what do I know? I only play at being a lawyer in my head.
3. Local veterans are advocating the use of marijuana for symptoms of PTSD. Right now, all they have is anecdotal evidence that it works. Of course, their VA doctors are against it. I would like to think that if I was a doctor and I had a patient for whom nothing else worked, I would not be so rigid as to deny them access to the treatment. Medical treatment is always weighing the damage that the treatment can cause versu the possible benefits, so marijuana doesn’t create some new dilemma in this regards. I’m all for it if it helps veterans cope with their mental and physical scars.
4. It has been hotter than Hades here this week. This past weekend it started around 100 and then shifted into high gear by mid-week, June 1, cranking up to 111 (a new record for that day, BTW). Now it is finally starting to go back down again to 100 today. Ugh, I really hate summers in AZ.
5. More on the weather…it is supposed to be windy today. Combined with high temps, that means we will be under a red-flag warning for wildfires. Will that stop AZ residents from tossing their lit cigarettes out of their speeding cars or from lighting camp fires, etc? No, probably not.
6. There’s Bears in them there hills! An elderly woman was attacked while she was in her tent and this sent lots of campers scurrying out of the woods back to the city, including a co-worker who saw a bear a little to close to his family. Whenever you start seeing more Coyotes and Bears getting closer to people, it means it is too dry, too hot and the animals are hungry enough to risk human contact. And it is only June.
1. The recall election against Gov. Scott Walker (bought and paid shill for Koch Brothers) is being held in Wisconsin today. I am disappointed in the DNC’s (Democratic National Committee) response, which was to do as little as possible to support Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barret in his bid to replace Walker. To the people on the ground in Wisconsin, this election is crucial but for some reason the DNC didn’t feel it was all that important.
2. And speaking of Gov. Walker, the corruption and scandal emanating from this man smells worse than a shit house door on a tuna boat. One his aides have been convicted for embezzlement and campaigning on the taxpapers’ time and four more are charged. Of courses, his aides are starting to sing and Walker isn’t looking so good (go figure). Odds are good he will face an indictment; even Gov. Walker thinks so as evidenced by the legal defense fund he has already established from his campaign money. ONly problem is, it is illegal in Wisconsin for the Governor to establish the fund BEFORE he is indicted. There was a rumor floated about Walker having a love child but that has been debunked already. The right is claiming that it was a just a desperate ploy by activists on the left to smear Gov. Walker’s name, but the left doesn’t have to work very hard at that since he’s doing a fine job all by himself. (And note bloggers on the left admitted it was debunked, something bloggers on the right hardly ever do).
3. If Romney wins the Presidential election, he will get a $5 million raise. Good news for the bank workers in the Cayman Islands! Looks like the rich do sometimes create jobs. /snark
4.DougJ over at Balloon Juice makes an excellent point: The Republicans created the current fiscal crisis we are in with the Bush Tax Cuts, the wars, and the Recession that have pushed up our Debt to unacceptable levels and it will eventually threaten funding for Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare. They also have purposely obstructed any attempts to make the economy better (reduce Health Care Costs, provide sufficient stimulus, etc). So they created this huge economic problem, they are doing everything in their power to make that problem continue, and they are using it not only as a campaign point but also as an excuse to gut Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare. This is the new GOP playbook. It happened in Wisconsin under Gov. Walker. When he entered office he had a surplus of $56.3 million and then he gave a huge tax cut to corporations, which created a big deficit. Walker then used the existence of the deficit as an excuse to gut the unions. In the military this called “false flag” operations. In psychology, there is a syndrome for individuals called “Munchausen by Proxy” or “Induced Illness”. Ironically, while the GOP has been using this strategy ever since Pres. Obama has been elected, you will see that there are many cons online that will accuse Pres. Obama has engaging in “artificial crisis creation” in order to gain more power for himself and “soshulism”. And that my friends is called “projection.