I am still crazy busy preparing for the move this weekend so here’s a bunch of quick thoughts:
1. The poor town of Crown King was severely damaged just last year by wild fires and now it’s in the crosshairs again. As of last night, the Gladiator fire was 0% contained.
2. I stand corrected on my assertion that George Zimmerman, accused of shooting unarmed teenager Treyvon Martin, had no visible injuries. Evidence presented during his trial does corroborate the fight that he claims took place. That doesn’t, however, prove Zimmerman’s innocence.
3. Smoke from all of the wildfires was blowing into Phoenix Monday of this week but the wind has shifted and is now blowing it away from us. However, it isn’t enough wind to blow away the horrid brown smog that blankets the city at this time of the year (see the image below). As I was driving into work today my eyes were so irritated that I couldn’t even put on make-up. This place makes me sick sometimes, literally and figuratively.
4. The title of a story on AZCentral.com pissed me off. It says, “Gilbert shooting victim declined to file for protection”. Is there some particular reason the Arizona Republic decided to go with a story lede that focuses on what a murder victim failed to do versus what the murderer actually did? Why not say, “Gilbert shooter’s history of violence” or “Gilbert shooter’s behavior increasingly violent” or “J.T. Ready’s domestic violence history” or “The hidden side of Gilbert Shooter” or etc, etc, etc….I could come up with about 20 different ledes for this story. But no, they had to use a lede that is phrased in such a way as to be victim-centric and victim-blaming. It appears that the story is actually trying to educate people on how to get orders of protection and other related issues. If that’s the case, why not title it something like, “Victims of violence have options” or “Gilbert shooting illustrates need for Protection Orders”, again, about a dozen other ledes would have been better. Maybe I am just being nitpicky…..
5. Arizona reigns supreme in slimy politics. The race for Tempe Mayor got so heated, that one of the candidates, the Republican (go figure) accused the other, a Democrat, of child molestation. Wow….They’re counting the votes as we speak.
6. Now the most important news of the day, IMHO, is the fact that I found a good home for my aging kitty, Dusty. A very nice couple who lives her in Phoenix has agreed to adopt her. This is a huge relief after having talked to the Humane Society yesterday, whose representative reduced me to tears with the bad knews that my kitty would surely be put to sleep. Thanks to Anne Laurie, poster over at Balloon Juice, who broadcast my plea for an adoptive family and the wonderful people who responded that they would take Dusty, she has yet another chance at a long life.
That’s all the news from the state of D. Ranged for now!