I and many other people have been saying that the Republican Party is destroying itself from within and seems to need little help from their opponents in this matter. Every day I am becoming more convinced that we are seeing the GOP in it’s death throes (1) because the things they are doing are getting crazier and dumber.
Today we find out that Ted Nugent, the gun loving, draft dodging (2) and liberal hating singer, is going to be attending the State of the Union tonight as a guest of Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX). Nugent most recently and famously had this to say about Pres. Obama and three of the most powerful and respected women in the world all while brandishing assault weapons:
Obama, he’s a piece of shit, and I told him to suck on my machine gun. Let’s hear it for him. And then I was in New York. I said, “Hey, Hillary, you might want to ride one of these into the sunset, you worthless bitch. Since I’m in California, how about Barbara Boxer, she might want to suck on my machine gun. And Dianne Feinstein, ride one of these you worthless whore. Any questions?
Yes, that’s the kind of man that the Republican Party wants to highlight on national television while the President has invited regular folks who REALLY represent America. Part of me is delighted because it shows just how far off the Rails the GOP has gone and probably will alienate moderate voters. The other part of me is pretty angry. This guy has implied threats to the President’s life (to the point the Secret Service had to have a little talk with him), said some of the most inflammatory things about women and blacks I’ve heard spoken in public, and threatened to turn traitor. Now yes, we have freedom of speech and no one is saying he can’t say such stupid and offensive things. I’m just saying he doesn’t belong at the State of the Union because his views are so insulting, ugly and yes, violent. You won’t see the left doing things like this. You won’t see Bill Maher, who called Sarah Palin a cunt, attending the State of the Union. You know why? Because it’s totally inappropriate and does not help bridge the gap between the parties. If anything, these kinds of people only make bipartisanship that much harder. Dems know that and care who gets to represent them. The parties should show their best face forward at such events. The American people and indeed the world, is watching. Republicans must not give a shit about what anybody thinks. They must want a racist, woman hating coward to represent them. To channel Senator McCain, that’s a problem, my friends.
How about this one…..there is a right-wing radio host, Kevin Swanson, who had this to say:
[W]omen who are on the birth control pill, there are these little tiny fetuses, these little babies, that are embedded into the womb. They’re just like dead babies. They’re on the inside of the womb. And these wombs of women who have been on the birth control pill effectively have become graveyards for lots and lots of little babies.
Did you know this idea is called a homunculus (3) and it dates back to Ancient Greece, in particular to Aristotle? Did you know that Aristotle and most Greek men at that time hated women? To them the highest form of love was between two men. Women were only there for two things: serving as slaves to their husbands and for breeding. The idea was adopted by the Catholic Church and stood for a couple of thousand years (may still be part of their catechism). But in the 19th Century modern science began to understand about sperm and eggs and development of the fetus, etc so that this homunculus theory has been proven wrong. Pushing this kind of ignorant and debunked thought is now makes no sense unless they want people to start thinking this way again. After all it won’t be too much of stretch for many Republicans, if their politicians are any indication. Why? Let me show you.
- A bill was recently introduced in New Mexico that would make any woman who aborted a baby conceived due to rape a criminal. For what? Tampering with evidence. The bill was withdrawn, however the fact that they thought it was perfectly acceptable to bring it up for discussion is horrifying to me.
- So many politicians have said stupid and offensive things about rape in the last couple of years so that the GOP held a retreat and had to have an outside consultant talk to them and convince them that they needed to stop using the word “rape”. Not change their thoughts about it, not reconsider their position or become more empathic to their constituents positions on it, but just stop saying the word. Nothing about the wrong and right of it, just completely stop talking about the topic. See, if a guy thinks that “some women rape easy” or that the vagina has defensive mechanisms to repel a rapists sperm or that there are forms of legitimate rape (4), then they can think it, the ethics of it be damned, all they want but they can’t alert their female constituents to their beliefs because it will cost them votes. Hmmm, wonder why it would cost them votes…..? Because it’s completely wrong and horribly offensive, maybe?!?!
- Besides an attempt to have a national amendment for Personhood, several state Republican legislators have been pushing Personhood laws and amendments as well. In which things like abortion at any stage would be murder. IVF (5) would be murder. Miscarriage would be investigated because what causes a woman to miscarriage? You don’t know until you investigate, right? And the fetus would be a person, so did the mother do anything to cause it? Can you imagine just having had a miscarriage while you are grieving you could be investigated for murder for that very same thing?
Such willful ignorance as Swanson spewing is falling upon very fertile ground. That ground is full of conservatives who think in similar ways, believe similar things, and who reject science if it doesn’t fit their narrative. They home school their kids and teach their kids abstinence. They believe what their preacher, their priest, their favorite right-wing TV and/or radio host, and their Republican politicians tell them, even if it is just batshit crazy.
Yet another example of the nutso caucus was the decision to have not one but two Republicans give a response to the State of the Union. See it’s tradition for one of the opposing party to speak after the President. The GOP decided they would have Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) speak in English and then Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) speak in Spanish. This idea was quickly squashed by others in the Party not because it is breaking with the tradition of only one response. Not because it is a waste of time since all three of the Hispanics who really want to watch the speeches can find a million other ways to hear and read it translated. It was squashed because Republicans didn’t want to give the impression that they supported any other language but English. That’s right. They turned down the opportunity to reach out to the fastest growing ethnic group in the U.S., a group whose vote they resoundingly lost in 2012, because they didn’t want to legitimize that group’s language. Keep going Republicans, you’re doing great!
Another….the President receives 30 threats against his life every day. This is 400% increase. He is so threatened that the Secret Service is being overwhelmed.
And so many others like…..
- the rapid growth in the gap between rich and poor and the corresponding shrinking of the middle class,
- the extreme opposition to reasonable requests for gun control reform,
- the rise of a propaganda arm of the conservative agenda that disguises itself as objective journalism (Fox News),
- the gamble with the debt ceiling and putting the global economy in jeopardy,
- the willingness to let the sequestration occur and slow down the U.S. economy’s growth just after a recession,
- the number of threats of impeachment the President has received,
- the entire “Birther Movement”,
- the purposeful misconstruing of the health care law,
- the surge in actual political power enjoyed by shock jockeys and TV grifters like Limbaugh and Beck,
- the resurgence of secession talk, etc, etc, etc.
I know that none of these things alone are all that unusual and they have all happened before (except for the Nugent thing, I guess, but we could consider the “You lie!” yell during the 2009 State of the Union to be in this class of offensive and tasteless behavior). But put together, I am beginning to see a pattern of hate, rage even, that is coordinated, stoked and growing. And it is helping the Republicans destroy themselves. Which, in all honesty, is to the good in my eyes. Unfortunately, it’s also hurting the rest of the country too. If we don’t learn from the past we are doomed to repeat it and I can tell you, minorities and women do not want to and WILL NOT allow us to go backwards to the dark days when we only had second-class status.
1. It will take several more election cycles, but I’m thinking around 2020
2. Just in case you didn’t know, this man who is constantly brandishing guns and bragging about how he would revolt and fight against the evil Government, wasn’t so brave when he actually had a chance to serve his country, in order to avoid going to Vietnam Nugent by his own admission smeared shit all over his body and feigned insanity. He got a deferment 4 times and was eventually given a 4-F. But now, now he’s a big, big man and people should fear him. Did he grow a pair over the last 20 years or is it that his kettle of bigotry and misogyny finally boiled over?
3. various spellings, not sure which is official
4. there are too many examples to link to here
5. IVF, test tube babies, usually they fertilize many eggs, implant them in the womb and then once they attach, those that aren’t attached are removed and disposed of